Keep it Simple

Task: Take 5 images in the minimalist style of Michael Kenna.

Michael Kenna is a well-known English photographer renouned for his photos of stunning black & white landscapes. His work exudes a very minimalist feel, sometimes by taking his photographs at dawn or dusk, but more commonly in naturally occuring fog/mist in order to 'dull out' the backgrounds in his photos.

After studying Michael Kenna's work on his website I proceeded to source some locations that closely match his style of photography. Naturally access to the mountains of Japan are a no-go for me, but we do have a lot of wide-open spaces in East Yorkshire that will be more than suitable. I decided to shoot my photos on a foggy day to get the same effect and then desaturate the colour from the photos. I also changed the contrast settings and cropped out unwanted foreground from some of the images.